Friday, February 11, 2005

On-line scams

I'm sure we've all gotten e-mail scams before. I just got one that's very, very sneaky. It was an e-mail claiming to be from Washington Mutual, saying

"Dear Washington Mutual Customer, Recently there have been a large number of identity theft attempts targeting our Customers.In order to safeguard your account, we require that you confirm your banking details.To confirm your Washington Mutual Account details please follow the link: https://login.wamu.com/logon/logon.asp?dd=secureNote: You have to report this message as "Not Junk Mail" if update link doesn't work.Thank you for using Washington Mutual."

Since I've never had an account with them, I thought it odd that I'd get the e-mail. Maybe it was from an old account I had with another bank that was taken over? Suspicious, I clinked on the link to see what it was. It was a very legit looking website asking me to log in and give my account information. Alarm bells went off in my head. I right clicked on the site to see the properties. The page in my browser looked just like Washington Mutual's (http://ups.wmu.mfrt.net/att/), but the real url was to a site in Braunau, Austria (here it is here - http://ups.wmu.mfrt.net). Sneaky, and evil!! I reported this to the real Washington Mutual site to let them know about it. I'll keep you posted to what happens.

Update - I clicked on the link in the e-mail to see what happens. It asks you to log-in, so I entered a random username and password. Guess what? It works. The next page asks for all kinds of personal information - Name, address, credit card number, expiration date, CVV code... Pretty scary. I wonder how many people have been scammed by this thing?

No comments: