Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Inter (fill in the Blank) Marriage and Dating

So, on today's Kojo Nnamdi show, the topic was inter-racial marriage, a topic very near to my heart, right FW? Anyway, a recent study found that the metropolitan Washington D.C. region has the highest rate of interracial marriage in the country. Something I always suspected but was never sure of. Reason #1 why the wife and want to stay in the area to raise our kids.

I was wondering about other inter______ marriages/relationships. I think inter-racial, inter-faith, whatever marriages are cool, obviously. But I don't think I could have ever dated, much less married, the FW if she was Republican. I just think our worldviews would have been so different. Race is just a social construct, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, my wife and I have cultural differences, but she would have had them with anyone she married - she's 1st generation American, the daughter of two immigrants. Our biggest difference is our socio-economic background. Also, despite all outward appearances, most religions, at their most basic, also teach the same lesson - love each other. So that's not really a big issue when you think about it, apart from all the pageantry and symbolism different religions wrap themselves in and the way people interpret them. But political differences, I don't know. That's huge - it encompasses so many different things - your views on race, religion, gender, sexuality, economic policy, poverty... I could go on forever.

If anyone out there is dating someone "other", other religion, race, politics, let me know how it's going.

1 comment:

Chaz said...

Yes, his friends are very cool, especially his really liberal ones! But since your Dad is on that side of the political spectrum, you were already "broken in", no?