Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Time Is Here


So today, I finally got into the holiday spirit. My wife was throwing a baby shower for her older sister, so I needed to be out of the house for most of the day. Luckily, my fav gal pal aka East Coast Alaska Girl (who my wife tells me I can marry if something happens to her - don't ask, she's morbid that way), who's now just East Coast Formerly Alaska Girl because she's moved back to DC where she belongs, was free to hangout all day. I drove into town to meet her at her awesome condo on The Hill, and we walked ourselves over to Eastern Market. Now, the calendar may say December 23rd, but the weather wasn't feelin' it. It was beautiful today, about 61 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. A perfect day to check out the scene at Eastern Market. Lots of cool crafts for sale, as usual. We had lunch at Tunnicliff's Tavern, sitting outside and doing some major people watching. And what do we see directly across the street? Dudes selling Christmas trees.

Now, we don't have a tree this year, because the Mrs. isn't feeling especially jolly this year, with her mother passing away last month. We have a very large poinsettia, but no tree. Well folks, we now have a tree! The tree dudes were selling all sizes and shapes of trees, and ECAG helped me pick out a small, cute tree. Only $10!! Afterwards, we went on a search for a tree stand. Home Depot would have one, right? Well, maybe a few weeks ago, but not 2 nights before Christmas. The wife and her sister our out shopping now, so I've had 2 hours to jerry-rig a stand out of an oversized planter and some festive holiday ribbon for support (don't ask). It's merely temporary - I'm going to head to a nursery tomorrow - they've got to have stands, right?

No comments: