Monday, November 03, 2008

We Are The Ones We've Been Waiting For

This is it folks. Polls open in 12 hours - the long journey is coming to an end. Or is that a new beginning?


I admit, I never, ever thought we'd be at this moment in my lifetime - the USA this close to electing a black man as President. I'm only 39 years old, so I have no idea the surprise and anxiety people my parents age or older are feeling.
March

The year I was born, it was illegal for someone like me to marry someone like my wife. The year I was born, MLK and RFK were murdered, gunned down in cold blood. My father took part in sit-ins, my grandfather had to get a sponsor so that he could attend grad school at UVa. And here we are.
Sit in

The feeling I have is a mix of euphoria and fear. The feeling you get just before getting married, or graduating, or Christmas. For the first time in a long, long time I don't have the words to describe my feelings.

I'll try my best not to jinx this, but I have the utmost belief that we'll prevail tomorrow and that our nation will once again be seen as symbol of what's right in the world, not what's wrong. If I'm right, my future children will grow up in a world in which they'll never NOT think that they can't become President. That, to me, is the most powerful thing about what we're witnessing. For all of my intellect and optimism, I never grew up thinking that one day I could be President. A congressman, a judge, an astronaut, sure. But President? They'd never let that happen, would they?
Bull Connor

We'll see.