Thursday, August 12, 2004

Is Goss Qualified to Lead CIA?

We'll let him answer this for himself (from yesterday's Washington Post):

Rep. Porter Goss may regret being interviewed for Michael Moore's Bush-bashing headliner of the summer, "Fahrenheit 9/11," and not just because the movie flashed his office phone number across the screen. Wouldn't you know it, the man whom President Bush just nominated as CIA director touched on his CIA involvement -- past and future -- during an interview with Moore's production crew (sans Moore) in March. If you don't recall seeing that in the movie, that's because you didn't. The clip was edited out. (We bet Moore's kicking himself now.)
According to the transcript obtained from Moore's camp, Goss, when asked about his past in the CIA, responded: "It is true I was in CIA from approximately the late '50s to approximately the early '70s. And it's true I was a case officer, clandestine services office, and yes, I do understand the core mission of the business." Perhaps he should have stopped yakking there.


Alas, the Florida Republican continued: "I couldn't get a job with CIA today. I am not qualified. I don't have the language skills. I, you know, my language skills were Romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background, probably. And I certainly don't have the technical skills, uh, as my children remind me every day: 'Dad, you got to get better on your computer.' Uh, so, the things that you need to have, I don't have."
When we asked Goss's office about the honest answer, spokeswoman Julie Almacy told us: "When he was a case officer, the language and technical requirements were different. So, the statement is correct in the context of the guidelines for a new hire of a case officer."
Ohhh, now we get it. Luckily for Goss, "case officer" is a completely different job from "director."

No comments: