Monday, August 16, 2004

Puerto Rico 92 - USA 73

I've got so much to say, but for now I'll just go with - How does Puerto Rico have an Olympic team? It's not a country - Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland don't have teams. Catalonia doesn't have a team, Friesland doesn't have a team. If Puerto Rico gets a team, then shouldn't DC? What's going on? Someone, please explain this to me!

This is why I miss communism. In the good old days of the Cold War, we knew who our enemy was. It was tangible. The Soviet Union, the Evil Empire. It was good vs. bad, democracy vs. dictatorship, God vs. atheists, amateurs vs. the Red Army. We would send our best COLLEGE players out onto the court and they would play their hearts out, we would cheer and care, and everyone felt good about it. Now, I didn't even watch the USA-Puerto Rico game. I didn't care about it (and neither did the great NBA players, who are all at home). At least not in the way I did when I was a kid in the 80's. Yeah, the Cold War sucked - I remember watching The Day After and being scared to death that the Soviets would launch a nuclear attack on us. At least, I would tell myself, I wouldn't feel it, since living in the DC area, we were at ground zero. And if they did attack, my friends and I from G-F High School would just fight back like Patrick Swayze and C. Thomas Howell in Red Dawn!

But now, the enemy is both everywhere and nowhere. There is no one country to hate anymore, actually no country at all, but an idea. And that's what's so frustrating to us. Bush tried to hoodwink us into thinking the enemy was Iraq, but nobody really felt they were a threat, regardless of what they say. They were an easy target, like when we beat Angola back in the '92 Olympics, which is about the time I stopped caring about the Olympic games.

So, why did we lose? I blame 2 folks, Shaq and Gorbachev.

No comments: