Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Dumbfounded

What do you do when someone you're friends with, a co-worker, says something racist and admits it? The other day, I was talking to a couple of friends at work about the whole immigration issue. One of my co-workers proceeded to go off on a rant about Latinos - how they only have babies to stay in this country, they're ruining our education system because teachers have to spend time with kids who don't speak English, how her tax dollars are supporting them, etc. Just ugly, vile stuff. I called her on it, telling her that she was full of shit, and she just said she doesn't care, and that when I have kids I'll agree with her. And get this, her parents are immigrants from the Caribbean!! What the hell?

I work for a very progressive political organization and it sickens me that someone who works here can have such a mindset. The question is, what should I do, if anything? Like I said, I told her that her facts were wrong and that you can substitute "black" for "immigrant" and it's the same thing racists have been saying about us forever. I'm just in total shock.

No comments: