Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Wow, I'm kind of speechless.

Well, it’s happened and I can’t believe it. Barrack Obama is the Democratic nominee for President of the United States. A brother is going to be “The Man”. I’m 39 years old, I never thought I’d see it. Well, the optimist in me, the one who married a 1st generation Irish woman, who’s going to name his future son Liam, and whose children will have American, Canadian and Irish passports believed it would happen. The realist in me, the one who’s great-grandparents where slaves (my grandfather was pretty old when my dad was born), the one who had friends tell him the only reason he got into the University of Virginia was because he’s black, the one who received some pretty hostile stares while travelling across Nebraska and Wyoming just 2 weeks ago with his white wife, that guy didn’t believe it. And yet, here we are. We’ll get back into the dirty, nitty-gritty part of the race soon enough, but for now, I just want to savor it.

No comments: