Monday, October 10, 2005

Home Town Tourist

Friday night, the FW (Fabulous Wife), got a phone call from her Uncle Frankie in Dublin. Except he wasn't in Dublin, he was in New York with his wife, Aunt Elsie visiting there son Emmanuel, who's currently working there for an Irish IT firm. Anyway, Uncle Frankie says not only are they in New York, they're driving down to DC on Saturday and staying at a hotel less than 2 miles from our house. So much for a nice, quiet weekend. The FW is now in grad school and is in class all day on Saturdays, so it was up to me, SuperHusband, to show my Irish in-laws around town. And you know what, I had a great time!

Living here in DC, I take for granted all of the wonderful things we have in this city, and often forget how beautiful it is. But this weekend, I saw it through the eyes of tourists, and I'm very happy I live here.

The 1st thing we did on Saturday, once I picked them up, was to get some lunch. Emamanuel said they just wanted something simple, some diner food. So, I took them to The Diner in Adams Morgan, my favorite part of DC and one very few folks from out of town have heard of or seen. Being Irish, they ordered mash potatoes instead of french fries with their lunch, and proceeded to smother their bread with it, making mashed potato sandwiches. I've never seen that done before, but it looked great! Afterwards, I took them on a driving tour of town (it was pouring rain on Saturday - we got over 7 inches of rain this weekend). I didn't just show them the usual stuff (The White House, all of the monuments, Capitol Hill), but all of the different neighborhoods as well. They were amazed at how green the city is - and they're right. DC is pretty much a city within a forest - absolutely green. Afterwards, they headed down to visit my mother-in-law with my FW.

Sunday, the rain finally stopped, so we trekked out on foot. We walked to the White House and the Ellipse, over to the Washington Monument, down to the Lincoln Memorial (going through the WW2 Memorial), and then over to the Jefferson. They wore me out!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not as green as some other cities here in the u.s.