Friday, October 28, 2005

There's an octopus in the water!!

One of my favorite memories of B happened about 30 years ago. I got to spend a few weeks one summer staying with Beba and my uncle and aunt, while going to summer camp. The camp was run by the Catholic Church somewhere in Maryland, I forget where.

Uncle BT wanted us to take swimming class, but I was scared to death of the water. Beba and kept putting it off, until BT told us we would get some "Action" if we didn't (Action was his term for a spanking, and just the threat of it worked!). Anyway, the day came for us to go the pool, and I was scared out of my mind and made up some excuse to the camp counselor about why I couldn't do it. When BT picked us up that evening, he asked how swimming went. Now remember, I was about 6 or 7 years old, with a very fertile imagination. I said we tried to swim, but there was an octopus in the water and it tried pulling us under, so we had to get out!! Beba looked at me like "are you completely insane?" He tried to play along, but of course the story didn't work (kids really do believe in anything, don't they). Luckily for us, BT found my lie so damn funny, we didn't get any "Action" that day. But we did have to go to the pool the next day. I just remember being thrown into the deep end. I surrvived, obviously, but that damn octopus tried to get me again!

Every time we saw each other, we would laugh until we cried over that story.

No comments: