Tuesday, June 06, 2006

It's almost here!



Well, we're back from our travels and now I'm getting ready for what is going to be an excellent month. The World Cup starts on Friday and I'm am psyched. Every game will be carried live on either ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC. I've got the DVR set, the beer is stocked, and I'm ready to roll. While I will of course be cheering on the USA, my favorite team, as anyone can tell you, are the ORANJE - the Dutch national team. Why? One word - Cruyff. Johan Cruyff was one of the greatest footballers of all time, the man who brought "Total Football" to the world. Towards the end of his career, after playing on some great Ajax teams, he came to the States and played for both the LA Aztecs and the Washington Diplomats. While with the Dips, he took part in many soccer clinics here in the DC area, and I got to meet him in the 5th grade. If I only knew then that I was in the presence of genius. Here's a clip of him in action.

Wij houden van Oranje!!!

1 comment:

MountainWave said...

While I appreciate your old school mentality and your thoughts on Cruyff, FIFA did get one ranking correct, and that is Brazil. As a blue blooded American I will absolutely root for the home team, but Brasil is THE team.