Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Unconditional

There was a time, not that long ago, that the FW and I would get in the same silly argument over and over. The topic? Did our dog love us or not. Seriously. FW has a huge heart and absolutely believes that our dog loves us as much as we love him. Being a premature curmudgeon (I'm only 38 but have started acting and thinking like a man twice my age) I said "of course not, he's dog. Why do you want to give human emotions to an animal?" But lately, looking at my little man, I think my FW was absolutely right. Every morning she wakes up before me and takes him outside. The 1st thing he does when he comes back inside is run, full steam, back to the bedroom and onto the bed to see me. When she goes to bed before I do, he will sit at my feet, sometimes until 1:00 am, until I'm ready for bed. He really is my shadow. When I'm feeling down, or reflective, he somehow knows this and will lay his little head in my lap, let out a deep sigh, and force me to pay attention to him - somehow he knows this will cheer me up. And the look in his eyes, man, let me tell you, he could melt the coldest of hearts.

Now, I know my siblings, who both have children will laugh at this as the ramblings of a crazy man, and will tell me there's no love like the love of a child. They may be right, but as I have no kids yet, I can't compare the two (and since they've never owned a dog as adults, neither can they), but the fact that he never, ever gets upset with me and his whole purpose in life somehow seems to be to make me happy, well, that's pretty damn cool.



Kaleb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in fact i do understand this sir. but the fact that you called that gray fur ball little man, implies that you do give human qualiites to him. yes, the unconditional love of a child is equal to nothing else i have seen. however, i do recall quite vividly my black cat Harry and how he would wait for me in front of the window to come home from work. i also recall going thru a breakup in VA and how he seemed to know just what i was feeling. out here on the west coast i had a cat too. Django knew me and loved me and knew me quite well. It's an interesting idea to ponder. But think about the sadness one feels when their pet dies, is lost or is taken away from them. thus the saying, 'a dog is a man's best friend.' i am glad you have that grey ball in your life. i am happy that thru saddness he has brought so much joy to you and FW.

tu hermanito