Tuesday, September 14, 2004

What about the poor?

Have you noticed that neither candidate has really said anything about the poor and hungry in America? Every speech W or Kerry gives is all about the middle class. But it isn't government's main function to help those who are powerless? The mark of any society is how it treats it's vulnerable. Yet, by and large, we ignore them. I'm guilty of it. We're all guilty of it. How many times have we ignored a homeless person on the street. Yet, we don't hesitate to buy beer after beer following a softball game. I don't have answer to it. I just no that we all need to take the time to think about our priorities. I don't consider myself a religious person - well that's not entirely true. I'm not a church-goer. The two don't go hand in hand. Anyway, there's a popular saying "What would Jesus do?". He didn't hang out with the folks who were doing okay. He was with the outcasts - the lepers, the poor, the prostitutes - the people we ignore. He'd help a brother out.

Now I know a lot of folks will say, "that's right, Jesus would help a brother out, not the government". And I agree, churches do a great job of helping the destitute. But it's not enough. We need to take a serious look at the root causes of poverty and how best to combat it. When I say we, I mean everyone - Democrats, Republicans, Greens, you name it. Because each child in America that goes to bed hungry, without hope, is a future Einstein, a future MLK that we'll never know about.

No comments: