Monday, December 19, 2005

Finally!!

Green Bay just benched Brett Favre and brought in the rookie, Aaron Rogers. Listen, I think Favre is a great guy and has been a really good QB throughout his career. But this ass-kissing being done by Madden and Michaels is just ridiculous - you'd think Brett Favre has discovered the cure for AIDS or something. Earlier today, I read a piece by Bill Simmons at ESPN.com, in which he said:

With the way broadcasters treat Favre these days -- and it's not just the Sunday night guys, it's everyone -- we may have to change the phrase "treating him with kid gloves" to "the Favre Treatment." For years now, Favre has basically been the white Aaron Brooks -- does all the same dumb things, makes the same dumb throws, snatches defeat from victory the same number of times, but puts up surprisingly good stats year after year. Only everyone piles on Brooks and makes excuses for Favre. Hmmmmm. I'd say more here, but I'm violating Scoop Jackson's Page 2 territorial rights.

By the way, in my "Top Gun/NFL" preview before the 2003 season, I gave Favre the quote, "Wait a second … you were in a 4G inverted dive with a MIG-28?" with the following explanation: To Brett Favre, firmly entrenched in the "Marino in the mid-'90s" stage of his career. In other words, he's just great enough to win some games on his own, not quite as great as he used to be, and unable to accept the fact that he isn't quite as great as he used to be. So he forces balls in big spots, tries to do too much, and invariably ends up killing the Packers against good teams. And it has been happening for three seasons now. And counting. Now we're wrapping up Year 6. And counting. I find this interesting.


I sent this to some of my buddies, including my little brother, Ken10. Ken10 and I have been having and e-mail war all day - he seems to think that I'm all about Aaron Brooks because Brooks went to UVa. My point wasn't that Brooks is great - it's that Favre hasn't been great for awhile. For all his stats, he's got exactly one Super Bowl win. The same number as Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. And that was way back in 1999. As my friends across the pond would say "he's won fuck-all since then".

No comments: