Thursday, July 29, 2004

Preach, brother, Preach!!!

Rev. Al tore it up last night at the Democratic Convention!  I may not agree with him all that often, but he was right on target with his speech - here are a few of my favorite lines:

"As I ran for president, I hoped that one child would come out of the ghetto like I did, could look at me walk across the stage with governors and senators and know they didn't have to be a drug dealer, they didn't have to be a hoodlum, they didn't have to be a gangster, They could stand up from a broken home, on welfare, and they could run for president of the United States."

He noted that President Bush last week at the Urban League conference made reference to the GOP being the party of Lincoln and Frederick Douglas.  But since the Republicans, from Lincoln to Hoover, failed to deliver on their promise of 40 acres and a mule to freed slaves, "we didn't get the mule so we decided we'd ride this donkey as far as it would take us."
 
And it seemed he was reading my mind on whyI'm a Democrat when he said "Mr. President, the reason we are fighting so hard, the reason we took Florida so seriously, is our right to vote wasn't gained because of our age.  Our vote was soaked in the blood of martyrs, soaked in the blood of good men, soaked in the blood of four little girls in Birmingham. This vote is sacred to us. This vote can't be bargained away. This vote can't be given away.  In all due respect, Mr. President, read my lips: Our vote is not for sale."

Rev. Al, my man!

No comments: