Thursday, July 29, 2004

What Cali is thinking

Just got back from visiting my little brother in San Diego.  Had a great time, and had a chance to speak with alot of Southern Californians about this year's elections.  Once thing I kept hearing, and what really saddened me, is how many folks out there think their vote doesn't matter, since the election has pretty much been decided by the time they get to the polls.  I told them to ask people in Florida if there votes don't matter.  Each and every vote matters, not just for the Presidential race, but for the Senate and Congressional races as well. 

I got a chance to hear "Los Able Minded Poets",  a San Diego based group who mix awesome music with politically aware lyrics and poetry.  If you get a chance to visit San Diego, I highly recommend checking them out.  They're not Dems (they're a bit to the left of Trotsky, I think!), but they have positive message about keeping up the fight for everyone's rights.  And I'm not biased because my brother, Ken10, is a member of the group!  Here's their bio:

Los Able Minded Poets are a San Diego based spoken word, live instrumentation and beats collective. Irrational times deserve heartfelt measures. So armed with conscious spirits and Able Minds this six-person ensemble takes to creating politically charged grooves and visceral wordscapes. With America's rich history of vocal dissent laid out, AMP takes the baton looking and hoping to smash the myopic complacency of contemporary culture while keeping heads nodding and thoughts streaming.  Founded in 2000 by Nazareth Simmons, AMP began on the road toward continuous evolution, thought provocation and aural stimulation. With a healthy stable of various instrumentalists one is urged to not expect the exact same stage show twice. Our mission is to elevate consciousness throughout the universe with poetic verse and musical accompaniment, We BEAUTIFIGHT!  AMP has performed throughout Southern California at various venues, and many college campuses from San Diego to San Francisco. Being a group of conscious, artistic, opinionated individuals AMP is often requested to speak/perform at various protest, anti-war to police brutality.
 
Buy their album, so my little bro can stop asking me for money!!  Just playin', he hasn't asked me for money in a long, long time.  But you should buy the album.

No comments: