Thursday, June 09, 2005

Another nice evening

So tonight, I was at Olsson's Books in Arlington, VA to see my favorite author, Nick Hornby (Fever Pitch, High Fidelity, About a Boy, How To Be Good). He was reading from his newest book, A Long Way Down. It was very, very cool to meet and hear him. I always thought he'd have a Posh accent for some reason, like Hugh Grant or Tony Blair. Nope, he's a true Islington man, with a proper working class accent. And he's a little fella, no taller than 5ft. 5in. or so.

The store was packed, I don't think they expected a crowd quite so large. A bunch of Arsenal fans were there, of course. The Arsenal America club was in full force. I posted a note on the forum a few days ago letting them know he would be here in town. As he was signing my books, he told me he thinks Arsenal are in for another long summer. Afraid he's probably right on that count. He also believes English football is changed for good because of the money Abramovich has pumped into Chelsea. He doesn't see how other clubs will be able to compete with them. I hope he's wrong. I hate Chelsea!!! He did agree with me that once Arsenal's new stadium is completed (next year) they'll be able to make and spend alot more money.

So, Tuesday night I saw the Nats beat the A's. Tonight, I met Nick Hornby. Not a bad week, eh?

No comments: