Monday, June 13, 2005

More on dinner with the BR

Okay, back with more on dinner with the BR. Over the course of our conversation, he asked didn't I care if we (the US) weren't the #1 economic power in the world. I have to admit, I've never thought much about that. But my heartfelt answer was that no, I didn't care. If we're #1, that means some other nation is dead last, and that's not right. This isn't some game we're playing. We're all citizens of the earth - national boundaries are artificial.

Rome used to be #1, Britain was #1, Egypt, Greece, Mali, and Mongolia have all been #1. Even Iraq has had its moment in the sun. I don't think folks in Finland, Sweden or other European nations with high standards of living care too much that they're not #1. They're just concerned with making sure everyone within their borders are taken care of and have a good life. BR also said that this is the 1st time that our technological advantage is evaporating. I responded that all of the nations I mentioned before also had a technology advantage - their weapons and means of waging war. The Roman legions, the British navy, the rifles Europeans used to enslave entire continents. Having a technological advantage doesn't impress me very much. You know what, our main tech advantage is still our military. Other countries have computers, cell phones, etc. But we have the best military, right now. That's what separates us - our ability to kill others more efficiently. He looked at me like I was crazy.

No comments: